Reflection on Social Media Case 12: United Breaks Guitars


There has been more than one instant that makes me hesitant to fly with United Airlines. This case study adds another reason to my list. In regards to this being an example of any press is good press I would say it isn’t. If I was the owner of United, I wouldn’t want people to know this story. It is evident by the dramatic price loss in two days that customers don’t like hearing stories like this. Between the incident with David Dao, the incident that happened not very long ago with the puppy being killed, and now this incident with the breaking of guitars I am less than eager to fly with United.
I thought Dave Carroll’s approach to getting the word out about his experience with United was very smart considering what his line of work is. He was able to reach a broad audience this way and that made United do something about the situation. I find United’s way of apologizing by offering to buy him a new guitar is a bit of a pitiful effort. They were obviously effected in a big way so I feel like their apology should have been bigger than it was.
This article is interesting; it talks about how United Airlines is ranked as the worst full service airline. The unexpected part about this ranking is that the survey where they got these results from was taken before the David Dao incident happened. This shows that customers were not impressed with United before that incident happened.
I was curious about what United is trying to do to boost its moral with customers and I found this article. United announced 10 things they are going to do to try and make their customer service better. Some of these don’t seem like a big deal but I think it is a good move for United to come out and blatantly say things they are going to try and be better on.
Overall I’m still going to be quite hesitant before I book a flight with United.


Comments

  1. I liked how you talked about how this certainly isn't the first issue that united airlines has had. Great Job Emma Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think it is good for them to say that they are doing those 10 things to fix their customer service, but until I knew those 10 things were in place I'd be hesitant to fly with them as well. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya it sounds like United is definitely going to have to do a lot to recover from all of these terror stories. Hopefully they're working hard to do just that. Good blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job! United definitely has a lot of work to do before I would fly with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not blame you for being hesitant to fly with United again, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really interesting that you looked into what United is doing to improve things. It seems like they should have figured this out after this song came out and before the more recent incidents. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your post! I also thought that it was a great way for Dave Carroll to get his frustration out because of what he already does! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Way to end the semester!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Social Media Case 8: Pastor's 10% to God

New Technology Assignment

Reflection on Social Media Case 5: Paypal Deleted Comments